Tyson Stelzer’s Australian Sparkling Report 2020
My Australian Sparkling Report 2020 features in-depth reviews of the top 240 Australian sparklings of the year at every price and style.
2020 will go down in history for many reasons in Australian wine, not least drought, bushfires and Covid – and the year of the finest sparkling cuvées ever unleashed in this country!
The rise and rise of Australian sparkling over the past decade has been nothing short of revolutionary. If the first decade of the 2000s marked Australian chardonnay’s moment in the sun, the 2010s have defined the era for the coming of age of Australian sparkling.
The complexity of sparkling winemaking makes this the hardest wine style to perfect in production, and its maturation regime dictates the longest duration to reach the market – making its rapid progression over the past decade all the more remarkable.
In the five years since I published my first Australian Sparkling Report, the rise in calibre of Australian sparkling continues to astonish me. This year, I am proud to present 240 of the finest sparklings ever made in Australia, at every price point from $7 to $399 and every style from méthode traditionnelle to charmat, transfer, blanc de blancs, rosé, prosecco and sparkling red.
In my Australian Sparkling Report 2018, only 25 cuvées achieved scores of 94 points and above (equivalent to a gold medal in a wine show). This year, 30 have attained this illustrious threshold, inspiring me to create an all new roll call of heroes in my Top 30 Australian Sparklings of 2020.
Highlights this year include:
- Australian Sparkling Consumer Demographics
- Hall of Honour
- Tyson Stelzer’s Australian sparkling wines of the year 2020
- Tyson Stelzer’s Top 30 Australian Sparklings of the Year 2020
- The best sparkling wines of the year under $20
- The best sparkling wines of the year under $25
- The best sparkling wines of the year under $30
- The best sparkling wines of the year under $50
- The best sparkling wines of the year over $50
- The best blanc de blancs of the year over $30
- The best sparkling rosés of the year over $30
- The best sparkling red wines of the year over $30
- The best proseccos of the year
- Sparkling Wine Glossary
In the unprecedented circumstances of 2020 and their acute impact on sparkling sales, not everyone who stands to gain most from this report has the resources to afford what it is worth. For those with the means to do so, I invite you to pay for this report according to the value that you would ascribe to a resource of this magnitude. Current circumstances have wiped out my events and 95% of my livelihood this year, so your support means more than ever at this time. – Tyson.
PDF Ebook – 77 pages – 240 reviews – 10 MB
We'd love to add you to our list of friends so you’re first to receive updates on all our upcoming dinners, tastings, tours, articles and books.