Tyson Stelzer’s Top 10 Sparklings under $25
Readers of my Australian Sparkling Report 2018 will appreciate that it’s at the affordable end of the market that it pays to be most discerning in your sparkling choices. Sparkling wines are among the most complex, labour-intensive, time-consuming and hence expensive of all wine styles to produce, and it takes an outfit of considerable expertise to pull this off with any level of finesse under $25. This also happens to be the price where you’ll find champagne kicking in on Australian shelves, but be warned: no champagne under $40 is worth drinking (unless you’ve chanced upon a rare day when Piper-Heidsieck is discounted to $38 – as it is right now).
Sparkling is also one of the most hotly discounted categories on the shelves and you can snap up discounts of more than 50% on the streets today.
Here’s my pick of the top 10 Australian sparkling bargains to stock up on this Easter weekend…
- Wolf Blass Red Label Chardonnay Pinot Noir Premium Cuvée NV – $6.60 at First Choice and Dan Murphy’s
- Jacob’s Creek Reserve Chardonnay Pinot Noir 2016 – $10 at First Choice
- Redbank Emily King Valley Chardonnay Pinot Noir Brut Cuvée NV – $11 at Copper & Oak, Gray’s and Wine Cow
- Yarra Burn Premium Cuvée Rosé NV – $11 at First Choice and Dan Murphy’s
- Seppelt Original Sparkling Shiraz NV – $14 at Valore Cellars
- Bleasdale Sparkling Shiraz NV – $17 at Kemeny’s
- Seppelt Salinger Premium Cuvée NV – $18 at Wine Sellers Direct
- Ninth Island Tasmania NV – $20 at Wine Cow
- Seppelt Salinger Pinot Noir Chardonnay 2013 – $22 at Jim Murphy’s
- Ninth Island Tasmania Rosé NV – $23 at Dan Murphy’s
For full reviews and details for each cuvée, download my free Australian Sparkling Report 2018.
And for something special, don’t miss…
- Piper-Heidsieck Brut NV – $38 at OurCellar
- Taittinger Brut Réserve NV $50 at Qantas EpiQure
- Bollinger Special Cuvée Brut NV – $64 at Dan Murphy’s
Full details in The Champagne Guide 2018-2019.
With best wishes for an effervescent Easter,
We'd love to add you to our list of friends so you’re first to receive updates on all our upcoming dinners, tastings, tours, articles and books.